This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6952 / 52°41'42"N
Longitude: -3.5025 / 3°30'9"W
OS Eastings: 298552
OS Northings: 311892
OS Grid: SH985118
Mapcode National: GBR 9J.3B97
Mapcode Global: WH686.5JD5
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Tydecho, Foel
Listing Date: 31 December 2002
Last Amended: 31 December 2002
Source ID: 80796
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On a small hill to the north-west of the village of Foel. Stone churchyard wall; iron gate at north.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
A hilltop church of mediaeval origins in the township of Garthbeibio, extensively rebuilt in 1862.
The church is dedicated to St Tydecho, a 6C Breton missionary. St Tydecho''s well in the field to the west was once of importance. The church appears in the Norwich Taxation of 1254 as the capella de Garthbeiboau. Rectors are recorded from 1375. The origin of the present structure may be the C15/16, as there is a Perpendicular east window and a similar south window in the chancel. Before restoration the church was whitewashed, and was entered by a north door. The gallery was lit by a dormer on the north side.
The church was rebuilt in 1862, this date being displayed at the apex of the east gable. Glynne, visiting in 1869, preferred to describe it as renovated. The rebuilt church is narrow, perhaps because of the re-use of the old foundations, and steep-roofed; original masonry is incorporated on the south and west sides. The main entrance was moved to the south side. The Perpendicular east window was reset in the new masonry, and the length of the chancel may have been reduced. Like its predecessor the church has a west bellcote. The font was retained with some re-carving and the west gallery may also be pre-restoration.
The headstones in the churchyard are of a good local carving tradition, with fine lettering and decorative
or religious motifs at the heads of many stones; many are designed as double headstones.
A church in axe-dressed local slatey stone with a slate roof and decorative crested tile ridge, appearing externally as a single chamber, with a single-bell bellcote, a south porch and a small north vestry. The north, south and especially the west walls incorporate original masonry but the chancel end and the heightening of the walls generally is of the C19. The roof is of the C19 and tall, and there is a west bellcote roofed with slate slabs and carrying an iron weathervane.
The east window is in simple Perpendicular style and is of three main lights. Above it is a circular slate in the gable recording the rebuilding of the church in 1862, and a stone finial cross. A two-light window with trefoiled round-headed lights probably contemporary with the east window survives in the south side of the
chancel. Two windows in the south side and three in the north side are timber Gothic windows with
trefoil-headed lights and generously projecting slate sills, from the C19 restoration.
The porch has side benches and outer double doors. A small pointed window to the east is blocked. The
vestry has plain, uncrested ridge tiles, a single light to the north and a boarded east door.
The nave is entered at the south. The effect of the interior is largely of the C19. It is long and narrow
with a step up to the chancel which is also differentiated by the greater thickness of the walls. The nave
roof is of four bays with braced collar beam trusses; the chancel has a slightly irregular barrel ceiling.
There are two banks of simple late C19 pews. Pulpit at right, opposite small organ. The west gallery could be earlier, especially as it is built into the part of the structure where most of the original masonry survives; it is of moderate height, with closed-in storage space beneath; the front of the gallery has simple Gothic carving below the top rail. The wall to the rear of the gallery is boarded. In the pew closest to the south door is an octagonal font, perhaps C15, on its original base, but the top has been tidied up and has a carved C19 inscription. Marble First World War memorial against a black ground on the north wall.
The chancel is small, with altar, reredos and side panelling in simple oak carving.
A church of mediaeval origins retaining some original masonry; well restored with good C19 interior and
an unusual west gallery.
Other nearby listed buildings