This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6962 / 52°41'46"N
Longitude: -3.4945 / 3°29'40"W
OS Eastings: 299096
OS Northings: 311990
OS Grid: SH990119
Mapcode National: GBR 9K.368W
Mapcode Global: WH686.9H6D
Entry Name: Pont-y-clochydd
Listing Date: 31 December 2002
Last Amended: 31 December 2002
Source ID: 80801
Location: Over the Afon Twrch about 500m upstream from Pont Twrch.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
A mediaeval bridge which came to be called pont-y-clochydd because of the proximity of the house of the
A short abandoned hollow lane leads down to the bridge from the road on the west side. As an early
crossing of the Twrch the bridge is reputed to have been used in the early C15 by Owain Glyndwr
passing from Machynlleth to Sycharth and in 1485 by Henry Tudor on his way to Bosworth.
A single arch bridge in quasi-rubble slate masonry, with a segmental span of about 8 m, built about 5 m
above the Afon Twrch. The voussoirs are not of regularised height and the common masonry is uncoursed.
The bridge carries a cobbled roadway about 2½ m wide between uncoped and uncoursed parapets less
than 1 m high.
A remarkable survival of a simple vernacular bridge of considerable antiquity in unaltered condition
including its cobbled paving.
Other nearby listed buildings