This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6803 / 52°40'48"N
Longitude: -3.4657 / 3°27'56"W
OS Eastings: 301008
OS Northings: 310183
OS Grid: SJ010101
Mapcode National: GBR 9L.47D6
Mapcode Global: WH686.QWVL
Entry Name: Rhiwlas (former Rectory) with open-sided Coach-shed to north-west
Listing Date: 31 December 2002
Last Amended: 31 December 2002
Source ID: 80802
Location: About 175m south-west of St Cadfan's church in the village of Llangadfan.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Built by the Rev. Griffith Howell, rector, in 1819, on glebe land. Rhiwlas was formerly the rectory of St
Cadfan''s church, but is now privately owned.
A well-proportioned two-storey, three-window Regency-style parsonage in axe-dressed slatey masonry
with low-pitched hipped slate roof with generous overhang. The house is L shaped, its main range facing
south-east to a lawn and garden. The second important elevation is the two-window return range to the
right, facing the approach to the house from the north-east.
The main elevation (to south east) is symmetrical, with three 12-pane windows above and two below, of hornless sash type or modern hinged imitation sash type. Timber canopy over the entrance door, supported on two round columns with half-columns behind. Modern replaced door with Regency architrave and rectangular overlight. The north-east elevation has similar windows but a blind window at top left, the lower sash windows horned.
Irregular rear to the house with a single storey annexe and a small two-storey annexe in the angle of the
main and return ranges. At rear to west is an open-sided coach house. Low wall separating the rear yard of the house from the stable yard to the north-west.
Interior not seen.
A well-proportioned Regency-style house which has retained much of its character notwithstanding minor
alterations; minor extensions at rear in similar materials; forming a good group with its outbuildings.
Other nearby listed buildings