History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fferam Gorniog

A Grade II Listed Building in Pentraeth, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.2748 / 53°16'29"N

Longitude: -4.2184 / 4°13'6"W

OS Eastings: 252172

OS Northings: 377611

OS Grid: SH521776

Mapcode National: GBR HNY1.JFP

Mapcode Global: WH53T.5YHB

Entry Name: Fferam Gorniog

Listing Date: 14 January 2003

Last Amended: 14 January 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 80824

Building Class: Domestic

Location: In an isolated rural location, set back along a private track, from the W side of the A5025 on the S approach to village of Pentraeth.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Pentraeth

Community: Pentraeth

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in


The older part of the range (to L) was built in early C17, dated by a stone to left of the entrance which bears the date and initials: 1611 / H A / E. Extensively remodelled and extended by the addition of a domestic wing to rear, by Paul Panton of Plas Gwyn in early C19, a corresponding stone to R of the entrance bears date and initials: P P / 1821. The house formed part of the outlying Plas Gwyn Estate and is recorded in the Tithe Apportionment of the parish, 1841, as owned by the Right Honorable Lord Vivian, and recorded in the Census Returns of 1851 as being an extensive holding of over 120 acres(48.6 hectares), then farmed by Michael Jones, who occupied the house with his wife, 3 children and 4 servants and employed 6 labourers to work on the farm. The porch was added in later C19 and a modern brick built extension was built in the angle to rear.


Predominantly early C19 farmhouse, comprising 2-storey 3-window principal range with single storey domestic wing to rear; extended by lean-to addition at W gable and modern addition in SW angle. Built of rubble masonry, the principal elevation painted. Slate roof with rectangular stone stacks with dripstones and capping. The main range comprises a 2-unit plan, with doorway offset to R of centre, in gabled porch, flanked by 3-light small paned horizontally sliding sash windows with cambered heads; 3 similar windows with timber lintels above. The domestic wing has a large squat stack at the W gable, a rubble built lean-to addition against the W wall and a modern brick built addition in the SW angle.


The interior has been modernised but retains some original cross beams and timber lintels.

Reasons for Listing

Included, notwithstanding later additions, as a vernacular farmhouse with characteristic early C19 styling in the plan and the retention of external detailing such as fenestration.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.