This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8815 / 51°52'53"N
Longitude: -4.0985 / 4°5'54"W
OS Eastings: 255659
OS Northings: 222409
OS Grid: SN556224
Mapcode National: GBR DR.RL1G
Mapcode Global: VH4HV.XZ50
Entry Name: Gates and gate piers at entrance to Court Henry
Listing Date: 30 January 2003
Last Amended: 30 January 2003
Source ID: 80847
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: At the S entrance to the grounds of Court Henry.
Locality: Court Henry
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Court Henry was built c1460 by Henry ap Gwilym, and was a substantial late medieval house remodelled c1730 to create the present Georgian house. Enlargement and modification followed the purchase of Court Henry in 1830 by the Reverend George Wade Green. The lodge and gateway were probably also added at this time, and an estate church was also built in 1832 on top of the hill immediately E of the house.
The gates and gate piers are by Moss of Carmarthen (stamped on piers), architectural blacksmith, and probably 1830s, contemporary with the lodge and the improvement of the house.
A wrought-iron gateway in simplified Baroque style. Square hollow piers have scrollwork and cast iron urn finials. The gates, swept up from the centre to the piers, have a disc frieze to the lock rail and finials comprising twisted rails and scrollwork. A pedestrian gate has been added on the L side.
Listed as well-detailed C19 wrought ironwork of local manufacture, and for its contribution with the lodge to the historic integrity and setting of the house.
Other nearby listed buildings