This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8798 / 51°52'47"N
Longitude: -4.0644 / 4°3'51"W
OS Eastings: 257998
OS Northings: 222154
OS Grid: SN579221
Mapcode National: GBR DS.RNJB
Mapcode Global: VH4J2.H0PR
Entry Name: West Bailiff's Lodge at Aberglasney
Listing Date: 20 September 1990
Last Amended: 30 January 2003
Source ID: 80857
Location: To the NW of the house and backing on to the lane to Grongar Farm to the W of the lodge.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Aberglasney was built by Bishop Rudd of St Davids from 1600 and was one of the largest houses in Carmarthenshire according to the hearth-tax assessment of 1670. It was sold in 1710 to Robert Dyer, who rebuilt and extended the house in the general form in which it now survives. It has been argued that the general layout of the gardens was the work of the Rudd family in the C17. Further major development was undertaken in the early C19, after the purchase by the Philipps family, which included the construction of coach houses and farm buildings around a courtyard NW of the house.
East Bailiffs Lodge was originally a coach house and with West Bailiffs Lodge was probably built in the third quarter of the C19. Both are shown on the 1887 Ordnance Survey, replacing an earlier building shown here on the 1839 Tithe map. The coach house has been converted to a dwelling.
The cottage has a 2-unit plan, with plain dog-leg stair opposite the entrance. The main room on the R has an ornate wooden fireplace surround, said to have been brought from the main house.
Listed for group value with other listed courtyard buildings and associated items at Aberglasney.
Other nearby listed buildings