This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3432 / 53°20'35"N
Longitude: -4.242 / 4°14'31"W
OS Eastings: 250838
OS Northings: 385260
OS Grid: SH508852
Mapcode National: GBR HMWV.ZKF
Mapcode Global: WH42G.T76D
Entry Name: Gelli
Listing Date: 5 February 2003
Last Amended: 5 February 2003
Source ID: 80867
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: A walled enclosure set well back from the NE side of the A5025 between the junctions to Marianglas and Llanallgo.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Traditional County: Anglesey
Early to mid C19 farmstead group. Not shown on the Tithe Map of the parish, 1847, though not all buildings are shown, particularly agricultural buildings; the land on which it stands is owned and occupied by Thomas Williams. By the time of the Census Returns for the parish, 1851, Ysgubor Gell is mentioned, occupied by Rowland Hughes, agricultural labourer and family.
A square walled enclosure set into the corner of a field boundary. There are two buildings within the enclosure, both built of rubble masonry with hipped slate roofs. One is freestanding towards the E corner of the enclosure; the other is marked on the OS map as "limekiln" and is built into the W corner of the enclosure. One entrance is clearly visible in the SE wall; this leads out onto a disused limestone quarry.
Interior not inspected at the time of the survey.
Included as a well preserved and complete farmstead/industrial unit which may represent an outlying estate development seemingly combining agricultural, domestic and small industrial buildings within the same complex. The plan and form of which is very unusual for Anglesey.
Other nearby listed buildings