This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8245 / 51°49'28"N
Longitude: -3.0144 / 3°0'51"W
OS Eastings: 330182
OS Northings: 214476
OS Grid: SO301144
Mapcode National: GBR F5.WBWP
Mapcode Global: VH796.PDRN
Entry Name: Structure of gates, gatepiers and attached walls with railings to main entrance to Bailey Park
Listing Date: 28 April 2003
Last Amended: 10 November 2005
Source ID: 80881
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: On the north-west side of Hereford Road, near the south-east corner of Bailey Park.
Community: Abergavenny (Y Fenni)
Built-Up Area: Abergavenny
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The park, which opened in 1884, was laid out by the prominent local ironmaster Crawshay Bailey. The town council purchased the park from him in 1894.
To centre, broad vehicle gateway. Piers of Baroque style in rock-faced stone with upper parts in Bath stone with red sandstone band and finials; the wrought iron gates have large square panels in upper part; scrolled bands to sides, scrollwork also to tops of gates. To each side is a pedestrian gate in similar design supported on smaller piers whose finials are heraldic beasts.
To each side of the gates, advancing, and then following the line of the road, a low rock-faced wall with iron railings: the wall stepped with slope of ground: the railings arranged as rectangular panels linked by vertical panels with scrollwork.
The ends each terminate with a rock-faced stone pier with head in Bath stone with red sandstone band; classical detailing and finial.
Included for its special interest as a well preserved and imposing composition of entrance gates and attached walls and railings to a Victorian urban park presented by a noted local resident and philanthropist.
Other nearby listed buildings