This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9266 / 52°55'35"N
Longitude: -3.1606 / 3°9'38"W
OS Eastings: 322078
OS Northings: 337204
OS Grid: SJ220372
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.MLRJ
Mapcode Global: WH78B.FP6S
Entry Name: Former Waiting Room, Glyn Valley Tramway, Dolywern
Listing Date: 18 February 2003
Last Amended: 18 February 2003
Source ID: 80889
Building Class: Transport
Location: Located near the W end of the lane which runs from Dolywern to Llwynmawr, close to its junction with the B4500. On the NE side of the road.
Community: Glyntraian (Glyntraean)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The Glyn Valley Tramway was a narrow gauge railway constructed in 1872-3 to transport slate and granite from the Glyn Ceiriog quarries to the Shropshire Union Canal at Chirk. It took passengers from 1874, and was operated by gravity and horses until 1888 when it was converted to steam. This waiting room, part of a small station at Dolywern, was built around 1893 under the direction of Henry Dennis, engineer. It followed the re-routing of the tramway through Dolywern in 1887-8, to avoid the bends over the River Ceiriog which were too sharp for the steam trains. The waiting room formerly had a stack at the SW end. The tramway closed to passengers in 1933 and to freight in 1935, due to competition from road transport.
Small single-storey building constructed of red brick under a slate roof, with a high brick plinth. White-washed to SE front, roughcast to SW gable end which borders the road. The front has a panelled door to R, 4-pane horned sash window to L, both under segmental brick heads. A letter box is built into the SW gable end, whilst a clock is fixed to the wall at a higher level.
No access to interior at time of inspection, but said to have had a fireplace.
Listed as a rare transport building type retaining its late C19 character.
Other nearby listed buildings