This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6641 / 51°39'50"N
Longitude: -3.304 / 3°18'14"W
OS Eastings: 309908
OS Northings: 196956
OS Grid: ST099969
Mapcode National: GBR HR.6CNQ
Mapcode Global: VH6DC.PF5M
Entry Name: Treharris Public Library
Listing Date: 20 February 2003
Last Amended: 20 February 2003
Source ID: 80909
Building Class: Civil
Location: Situated near the centre of Treharris, on the E side of Perrott Street just N of its junction with John Street.
County: Merthyr Tydfil
Town: Merthyr Tydfil
Built-Up Area: Treharris
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Public library of 1909 by W Dowdeswell in Edwardian free style. Single storey with high rear over basement. Opened October 1909. Altered in 1987 with principal entry now through left side door.
Public library, red brick and Bath stone with slate hipped roof with leaded base of missing cupola. Single-storey front with basement to rear due to steeply sloped site. Front of 3 bays, the outer ones projected and gabled with moulded copings. Gables have channelled ashlar outer piers with modillion cornices and top blocking courses, fine large Palladian windows with Ionic columns, moulded arch, keystone and coloured leaded glass. Sandstone plinths, raised on tolled Pennant stone base on right due to slope. Cast-iron rainwater pipes in return to centre piece which has modillion cornice broken forward over ashlar centre which has parapet lettered Treharris between 2 ashlar blocks. Blocking course each side, ashlar frieze right across with Free and Library incised each side of motto with oak-leaves over shield with Virgin with spear and 2 swords, this over main door hood. Ashlar segmental curved hood, moulded with panelled soffit on big brackets with acanthus carving, carried on bulbous Ionic columns. From hood projects very large iron clock in square frame, a 1914-18 war memorial. Tympanum under hood has roundel cartouche with sprays each side over broad doorway with 2 iron gates. Four stone steps up between sandstone moulded low walls curving out each side, with low curving iron rails. Flanking entry are paired small lights with single ashlar sill and lintel with dripstone.
Door is recessed in main entry, the recess with mosaic floor with CL in wreath (for Carnegie Library). Art Nouveau plaque recording opening. Double doors with bevelled glass and big overlight, some panes shaped.
Left end is roughcast with flush stone heads and sills to windows. Four bays, door in third bay, coloured leaded glazing to windows and door overlight. Plain rendered right end wall, rendered rear basement with pebbledash first floor, 2 window left, 3 centre and Palladian window right, most with leaded coloured glazing.
Left reading room has curved plaster ceiling, leaded Palladian window each end. Curved wall behind disused main entry with 7-light window in long lights with patterned leading. Former entrance lobby has moulded cornice.
Included as a smaller Edwardian public building retaining original external and interior character and detail.
Other nearby listed buildings