This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7592 / 52°45'33"N
Longitude: -3.4557 / 3°27'20"W
OS Eastings: 301861
OS Northings: 318953
OS Grid: SJ018189
Mapcode National: GBR 6L.Z719
Mapcode Global: WH67T.WXL2
Entry Name: Bryn Vyrnwy
Listing Date: 26 February 2003
Last Amended: 26 February 2003
Source ID: 80913
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At north side of the village street about 400 m from the south west end of the Vyrnwy Dam.
Locality: Llanwddyn village
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
One of the first houses built in the new village of Llanwddyn following the construction of the Vyrnwy Dam in 1890; this house was probably intended for a manager, and appears as Bryn Vyrnwy on the revised edition of the Ordnance Survey map, 1900. It was occupied at an early date by an employee in charge of the water gauge on the weir beneath the dam.
A T-shaped two storey house in restrained Arts and Crafts style, in irregularly coursed rock-faced slate, with a large timber-framed lean-to porch at the west side and a single-storey annexe at the east side. Red tile roofs with timber bargeboards to the east-facing gable only; the other gables have projecting verges on exposed purlins and wallplates. Red brick chimneys.
The house is approached at the west side: gable at left with timber oriel window on timber brackets above, corner bay window below in a splay. Both of these windows have small pane glazing in their top lights only. Porch at centre of the west side with timber weatherboarding to its right flank, small window above. At north there is a two-light small-pane window beneath a raise in the eaves and a three-light similar window below, in addition to the corner bay window. The south-facing gable has a three-light timber casement window above and below with small-pane glazing; segmental arches and sills. To the east side the house has a gable with a three-light casement window with small pane glazing above; stone sill and lintel. Small window in the left flank of the gable. Single storey east extension with tile roof at slightly lower pitch; heck door to south; door, small window and hatch to east.
One of the earliest and architecturally the best of the new buildings of the Llanwddyn village associated with the completed Vyrnwy Dam; a building of Arts and Crafts character which has been well preserved.
Other nearby listed buildings