Aqueduct on Dowlais Free Drainage System
A Grade II Listed Building in Pant, Merthyr Tydfil
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building.
In some locations, Street View may not
give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7664 / 51°45'59"N
Longitude: -3.3427 / 3°20'33"W
OS Eastings: 307440
OS Northings: 208380
OS Grid: SO074083
Mapcode National: GBR YR.ZTQQ
Mapcode Global: VH6CS.0VQQ
Entry Name: Aqueduct on Dowlais Free Drainage System
Listing Date: 11 March 2003
Last Amended: 11 March 2003
Source ID: 80964
Building Class: Water Supply and Drainage
County: Merthyr Tydfil
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Aqueduct built 1860/1865 on Dowlais Free Drainage System to carry watercourse to nearby reservoir over access way to common.
Aqueduct, grey stone, segmental arch approximately 2.4m high and 1.4m span with stone voussoirs. Angled wing-walls and buttresses in stone with soffit in red brick. Parapets repaired with cement. Watercourse some 1m wide lined with brick. Tunnel some 4m long, the N side being part buried in overburden in 1979.
Reasons for Listing
Included for its special interest as part of the historically important Dowlais Free Drainage System.
Other nearby listed buildings
Situated on the E end of Lower Row at its junction with the road leading to Upper Row.
Situated on the SE side of the High Street attached at pavement level to the wall of Caeharris Post Office.
White Gate Road Bridge and Aqueduct
Some 100m N of the reservoir on the N side of the Heads of the Valley road and just W of the grid sub station at Pengarnddu.
Former Guest Memorial Library
On the NW side of the High Street at the SW side of its junction with Gwernllyn Road.
Industrial building at former Ivor Works
Situated on the S side of the site of the former Ivor Iron Works just N of Ivor Street.
Dowlais Works Blast Engine House
Situated on the SE side of the High Street some 150m SW of the former Guest Memorial Library.
Dowlais Works Stables
On the NW side of Upper Union Street facing down the slope to the High Street and the former location of the Dowlais Iron Works.
Situated just to the NW and rear of Dowlais Works Stables between Upper Union Street and Ivor Street.