This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7345 / 51°44'4"N
Longitude: -3.8495 / 3°50'58"W
OS Eastings: 272381
OS Northings: 205592
OS Grid: SN723055
Mapcode National: GBR H1.1SJC
Mapcode Global: VH4JS.7N9Q
Entry Name: Church of Saint Ciwg
Listing Date: 13 March 2003
Last Amended: 13 March 2003
Source ID: 80985
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in a rural location on the hillside some 1.5km N of the centre of Pontradawe.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Anglican parish church, medieval origins altered and reroofed in 1812 according to plaque, but presumably rewindowed again later in C19. Before 1882 the church was stone-tiled. The tower was presumably reduced in height because of the leaning W wall. Church is said to have been founded by Ciwg, saint and hermit.
Anglican parish church, rubble stone with short W tower, nave and chancel under single roof of imitation slates. S porch. Tower is of extreme plainness, square plan with leaning W wall and rubble battlements just above level of roof ridge. Tiny louvred slots S and N, various put-log holes N, pointed S door with stone voussoirs. Stonework at S joint to nave suggests tower was added on existing W wall. Projecting stones on E side to line of roof. Church has pointed 2-light sandstone ashlar Y-tracery windows presumably replacing small-paned windows of 1812, one to left of porch, two to right, then chancel door with one more to right. Chancel door has plain pointed ashlar frame and voussoirs. Porch has slate roof, pointed entry with stone voussoirs. Pointed inner door with C19 double board doors. Stoup in right corner. Stone seats. W porch wall has stone with 2 incised crosses, and plaque to R. Thomas died 1713. Windowless N wall has blocked medieval window towards W end, one jamb and 2 parts of roughly curved head. E window similar to S windows and small rectangular opening low down to right on E wall S tower and chancel doors are framed boarded
Plaque to left of chancel S door: 'This church was new roofed and considerably altered Ad 1812' with names of churchwardens.
Interior not available for inspection. Medieval heavy drum font with raised band around lower edge. Panelled pews. Later C19 iron altar rails and ashlar drum pulpit pierced with paired lancets, with winding timber stairs and rail. Stone steps to sanctuary, C20 chancel panelling. E window c. 1898, Feed my sheep. C19 pine vestry enclosure at SW corner.
Listed as a parish church with medieval fabric, altered in 1812.
Other nearby listed buildings