This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8725 / 51°52'21"N
Longitude: -4.1503 / 4°9'1"W
OS Eastings: 252060
OS Northings: 221514
OS Grid: SN520215
Mapcode National: GBR DN.SC5L
Mapcode Global: VH4J1.06RC
Entry Name: Tawelfan
Listing Date: 1 April 2003
Last Amended: 1 April 2003
Source ID: 81019
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In its own grounds approximately 200m NE of the parish church and on the S side of the road through the village.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Built as a vicarage in the mid C19, perhaps c1848 when the new church was built, and first shown on the 1888 Ordnance Survey.
A late Georgian 2-storey 3-window house with attic and basement, roughcast with replaced slate roof and replaced brick stacks. The symmetrical front has 12-pane hornless sash windows. The central entrance porch, in early C19 Gothic style, has double-half-lit doors with ogee lights, with similar style narrow flanking windows, under an ogee overlight with intersecting glazing bars, barge boards and pendant finial. The porch side walls have narrow windows similar to the front. In the R gable end is a 12-pane sash window upper R over a former doorway converted to a window, and a 4-pane attic sash window to the R of centre. Cusped barge boards are renewed. Further R is the rear wing, which retains a 12-pane sash window upper R, has a 2-light small-pane casement upper L and an enlarged window lower R. The rear of the main range has a replaced tall central sash window lighting the stair, and a 12-pane sash window upper R. In the lower storey is a lean-to, attached to a small flat-roofed projection against the rear wall of the wing. In the L gable end of the main range is a replaced window lower L and replaced attic window.
The central entrance hall has a late-Georgian style an open-well stair with wreathed handrail and moulded tread ends. Principal rooms retain panelled shutters. In the rear wing, the former kitchen retains a boarded door to a service stair.
Listed as a well-preserved mid C19 house of distinctive architectural character, and for its contribution to the overall historic integrity of the village.
Other nearby listed buildings