This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9111 / 51°54'39"N
Longitude: -4.1041 / 4°6'14"W
OS Eastings: 255366
OS Northings: 225709
OS Grid: SN553257
Mapcode National: GBR DQ.PYDX
Mapcode Global: VH4HV.T759
Entry Name: Penylan House
Listing Date: 9 April 2003
Last Amended: 9 April 2003
Source ID: 81026
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 2km S of Llanfynydd, reached by private road on the E side of a minor road between Llanfynydd and Court Henry.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Said to have been standing by 1702 and to have been built by Evan David. His great grandson William Griffith Davies is said to have improved and enlarged the house. It was owned by David Jones of Pantglas by 1840 when it had become a tenant farm, as well as incorporating kennels for the local hunt. It was probably originally a 2-unit hall house with a projecting stair at the rear. A cross wing was added in the C18 or early C19 and is shown on the 1840 Tithe map. Further C19 alteration probably occurred when it became part of the Pantglas Estate. Windows were replaced, the cross wing was lengthened to its present extent, a small service wing was added and kennels were built attached to the service wing (raised to 2 storeys and converted to a dwelling known as Penylan Farm). Later C19 additions at the rear were made either side of the stairway to create the present double-depth plan.
A Georgian style 2½ storey house comprising a 4-window main range with a cross wing on the R side, and a lower 2-window service wing in line with the main range and behind the cross wing. At right angles to the service wing is Penylan Farm. Walls are pebble-dashed, roofs are slate with C19 brick stacks. The main range and wing have hipped roofs on projecting boarded eaves, with swept profile to the main range. The main range is asymmetrical. The original doorway R of centre has a later fielded panel door, and a C20 portico with plain round columns. Windows are C19 with stone sills, but mainly in original openings. To the L of the doorway are two 2-light wooden casements, and a similar 4-light window is to the R. In the upper storey are 12-pane horned sashes. The shadow of a former lean-to veranda can be seen below sill level in the upper storey. There are 2 gabled dormers with 2-light casements. On the 4-window L side of the main range, windows are not equally placed and comprise sash windows in the upper storey, two 2-light casements lower L and a conservatory lower R replacing an earlier conservatory in the same position. Two gabled dormers are similar to those of the front.
The cross wing has two 12-pane sash windows in each storey on the L-hand side, and a single similar window upper R where the wing was later extended. The end wall also has a single upper-storey sash window. The rear has replaced windows and door in the lower storey and a 12-pane sash window upper R. The service wing has the doorway on the L side, now concealed by an added lean-to in the angle of the service and cross wings. Windows are 12-pane horned sash under segmental heads in the lower storey and under the eaves in the upper storey.
The main range retains its original plan of great hall and parlour, with stairs at the rear, convincingly c1700. The hall retains some wood panelling, probably of the C18, and a wood panelled classical style niche in the gable end. The wide, open-well stair has turned balusters and newels.
Listed as an early C18 gentry house retaining much of its original form and character in the context of C19 improvement.
Other nearby listed buildings