This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8227 / 52°49'21"N
Longitude: -3.4047 / 3°24'16"W
OS Eastings: 305440
OS Northings: 325940
OS Grid: SJ054259
Mapcode National: GBR 6N.V7FB
Mapcode Global: WH78S.N9XX
Entry Name: Llangynog Bridge
Listing Date: 23 May 2003
Last Amended: 23 May 2003
Source ID: 81050
Building Class: Transport
Location: To south of the village of Llangynog, carrying the B4391 aross the Afon Tanat.
Community: Llangynog (LLangynog)
Locality: Llangynog village
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
A bridge on the Llanfyllyn to Bala turnpike road, following the Montgomeryshire Turnpike Act of 1769, important for the development of the local mineral industry. It is shown on the 1839 Tithe Map and still referred to locally as The Turnpike Bridge. Probably taken over in 1821 as a County Bridge, but not included in the published list. The parapets are however characteristic of many County bridges. The turnpike ceased in 1879. Livestock sales were formerly conducted on the road from the bridge to the village.
A single-arch bridge of local slate masonry, above a slight weir, carrying a road about 5 m wide over the River Tanat. Plain segmental arch of about 9 m span with voussoirs about 600 mm high. The parapets are formed of narrow orthostat blocks of sandstone about 1 m in height.
A good bridge of the turnpike era which has retained its character.
Other nearby listed buildings