This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7361 / 51°44'9"N
Longitude: -3.9413 / 3°56'28"W
OS Eastings: 266047
OS Northings: 205935
OS Grid: SN660059
Mapcode National: GBR GY.KLJF
Mapcode Global: VH4JQ.MMSH
Entry Name: Valve tower at Upper Lliw reservoir with bridge and bridge abutment
Listing Date: 23 May 2003
Last Amended: 23 May 2003
Source ID: 81067
Building Class: Civil
Location: Situated at SW corner of reservoir, reached by gated road of some 2.5. km up from visitor centre at Lower Lliw reservoir.
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Valve tower to reservoir constructed in 1886-94 for Swansea Corporation under Ralph Henry Wyrill, engineer.
Circular valve tower standing a little out from shore, sandstone ashlar with leaded domed roof, classical style. Tower has finely cut channelled rustication with big curved cornice moulding, deep plinth with ogee-moulded top carried around an arched doorway on W side. Three arched windows also in moulded surrounds with stone sills. Below plinth is a big semi-circular or bull-nose base moulding, over channelled stonework continuing underwater. Dome has raised ribs and pierced metal crown around top.
Delicate footbridge with shallow arch made of 4 curved cast-iron pieces with open spandrels, each pair meeting in centre, and carrying iron railings with ball finials to posts and horizontal rails. W end of bridge rests on semi-circular abutment with big ring moulding matching that on tower and two quadrant curves of railings.
Included for its special architectural interest as a particularly fine neo-classical tower, superbly built.