This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8861 / 52°53'9"N
Longitude: -3.2522 / 3°15'8"W
OS Eastings: 315837
OS Northings: 332803
OS Grid: SJ158328
Mapcode National: GBR 6V.Q8HJ
Mapcode Global: WH78H.0QLB
Entry Name: Church of St Garmon
Listing Date: 23 May 2003
Last Amended: 23 May 2003
Source ID: 81150
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In a picturesque location in the Ceiriog Valley, on the E edge of the village.
Community: Ceiriog Ucha
Community: Ceiriog Ucha
Locality: Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The church is on an ancient site in a roughly circular churchyard, the entrance path flanked by very old yew trees. It is dedicated to St Garmon, C4-5, who reputedly founded a church here. The medieval church is said to have been rectangular with a square flat W tower and S porch; nothing of this structure remains.
Completely rebuilt in 1846 by Thomas Jones, architect, as a simple preaching box with Perpendicular-style windows. Restored in 1986/7 when it was in poor condition, particularly the interior.
North of the entrance path is a mound approx. 5m across, alleged to have been a preaching mound associated with St Garmon. Set in the top of the mound is a denuded stone, possibly part of a sundial or preaching cross.
West tower incorporating porch; nave and chancel in one. Constructed of random grey stone, partly dressed, under reconstituted grey clay tiles. Splayed angles to building with quoins; high plinth with moulded coping; raised copings to gables with kneelers. Perpendicular-style windows with segmental-pointed heads containing bar tracery, the lights with cinquefoiled heads; yellow sandstone surrounds.
Three-stage tower supporting a short spire. The lower stage has splayed angles; the middle stage is stepped-in, the angles broached and continuous with the octagonal upper stage, which has battlemented parapets. Slate-covered spire surmounted by a weather vane. Doorway facing W with moulded square surround; double boarded doors under segmental-pointed arch with infilled spandrels. Relieving arch over. Small single lights to N and S sides of lower stage. Middle stage has 2-light windows to W, S and N sides. Upper octagonal stage has 2-light belfry openings in same style to E, W, S and N sides.
The N and S sides of the nave and chancel are 3-bay, the Perpendicular-style windows with 3 lights. The E end has a 5-light window under a segmental head. Plain diamond tablet to gable and cross finial to gable apex. The splayed angles of the W end have tiny rectangular lights to 2 storeys. Further tiny openings immediately flanking tower at gable level.
Single chamber nave and chancel. Five-bay roof; collar trusses supported by straight braces. Central aisle flanked by panelled box pews. Gallery to W end; late C17-early C18 turned balustrading to front, perhaps from earlier church on the site. The balustrading rests on a later wood panelled sill which bears a painted inscription recording that the church was rebuilt through the benevolence of F R West in 1846 to accommodate 212 persons. A grant of £70 from the Society for the Enlargement, Building and Repairing of Churches and Chapels was given, along with £125 from the Diocesan Society. Three tiers of benches to gallery; 4-centred archway to rear, now glazed, and modern staircase to N side. Panelled double doors beneath gallery forming entrance to church. To SW of nave, stone bowl font with traceried panels. At E end, turned altar rails as gallery front, flanked by square wood-panelled pulpits, recently reconstructed. These are an unusual feature; that to the S may have been a reading pew. Four small wall tablets, including to Phoebe Hughes (d. 1884), and a brass tablet to the poet John Ceiriog Hughes (1832-87). Stone tablet in memory of Phyllis Storey of Glan Dwr (d. 1987) who funded the late C20 restoration of the church.
Listed as a small, well-detailed Victorian church in a consistent Perpendicular style which pre-dates the C19 ecclesiastical revival. The early foundation associated with St Garmon and the fine rural setting are of additional interest.
Other nearby listed buildings