This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7425 / 51°44'33"N
Longitude: -4.4556 / 4°27'20"W
OS Eastings: 230562
OS Northings: 207722
OS Grid: SN305077
Mapcode National: GBR GL.F8S2
Mapcode Global: VH3LZ.QGDJ
Entry Name: Barn Range at East House Farm
Listing Date: 13 June 2003
Last Amended: 13 June 2003
Source ID: 81182
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: The farm lies on the southern edge of the reclaimed land of East Marsh, close to the dunes of Laugharne Burrows, due S of Laugharne. The barn range forms the western side of the courtyard.
Community: Laugharne Township
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The farmhouse is dated 1810, with an inscription that records ''''''''This house and offices were erected by G. P. Watkins esq.''''''''. The context for the construction of the farm appears to be the reclamation and enclosure of the marsh, and its colonisation by a series of new farmsteads in the early years of the C19 (the nearby Hurst House is date 1798, its model farm is of 1828). The farm-buildings represent a tightly planned group laid out as a model farm, and although the ranges appear to have been constructed at slightly different times, the distinctive courtyard layout is clearly shown in the Tithe Map of 1842.
The farm buildings are ranged round 3 sides of a courtyard, with the house placed centrally in the N range. The W range comprises a large and a small barn separated by a lofted cartshed and stable. Construction is limewashed rubble with some brick dressings, and slate roofs. The larger barn (at the SW) has wide high arched doors in both elevations (both now blocked or partially blocked); a C20 extension obscures part of the yard-ward elevation. Under the same roof line are 2 cartshed bays with a small stable alongside: paired cart entries with shallow brick arches, similar arched heads to window and door of stable to right (an additional doorway has been blocked); 6 regularly spaced windows beneath the eaves above. To the N of this, a smaller (and perhaps earlier) barn has narrow opposed doorways and flanking vents.
Listed as an integral part of a farm group which is an exceptionally well-preserved example of a model farmstead with a precise historical context in ambitious agricultural improvement at the beginning of the C19. It clearly demonstrates a mixed agricultural economy in a series of purpose-designed buildings unified by coherent planning in an enclosed yard, and by strong regional character in design and construction.
Other nearby listed buildings