This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0147 / 52°0'53"N
Longitude: -4.2185 / 4°13'6"W
OS Eastings: 247850
OS Northings: 237469
OS Grid: SN478374
Mapcode National: GBR DL.H67X
Mapcode Global: VH3KR.TMQC
Entry Name: Multi-purpose farm building at Perthyberllan
Listing Date: 24 June 2003
Last Amended: 24 June 2003
Source ID: 81242
Location: On the SE side of the old and new houses at Perthyberllan.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
A barn, cow house and stable built in 3 phases, probably after the house was built in 1784. Perhaps the earliest is the central section, a cow house, which has an L-shaped stable and barn on the E side. Cow house, barn and stable are shown on the 1842 Tithe map. The cow house was later lengthened and the present extent of the building is shown on the 1888 Ordnance Survey.
A multi-purpose farm building of rubble stone with corrugated metal roof. The 3 phases of construction are separated by full-height vertical joints. The central section, part of the cow house, has openings with keyed flat arches. The barn and stable to the SE have similar openings, as well as a continuous row of pigeon holes and ledge beneath the eaves. The cow house has a total 6 doorways, 3 of which have been converted to metal-framed windows, while the others retain boarded doors, except the L hand which is boarded up. Of 5 loft openings, 4 have boarded shutters beneath the eaves, while the L-hand is at a lower level and is open. At the R end is a boarded loft door. Further R, the main entrance to the stable is in a projecting surround with pediment. It is flanked by wood-framed windows, to the L of which is a former doorway converted to a metal-framed window. At the R end is a boarded door leading directly to loft stairs. The loft has a single opening beneath the eaves, breaking the line of pigeon holes. The barn, at right angles to the main range, has a boarded winnowing door to the L, then a blocked doorway and 2 ventilation strips. The rear has 2 similar ventilation strips and replaced double doors to the wagon bay. The rear of the stable and cow house has inserted metal-framed windows and original boarded doors.
The cow house and stable have mid C20 cattle stalls. The barn retains line shafting for a threshing machine powered by a former waterwheel.
Listed as a fine late Georgian farm building and for group value with the house.
Other nearby listed buildings