This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1148 / 53°6'53"N
Longitude: -3.3 / 3°17'59"W
OS Eastings: 313086
OS Northings: 358301
OS Grid: SJ130583
Mapcode National: GBR 6S.7WCP
Mapcode Global: WH779.8ZT0
Entry Name: Sixth Form Centre at Brynhyfryd School
Listing Date: 26 August 2003
Last Amended: 12 July 2006
Source ID: 81248
Building Class: Education
Location: In the NW corner of the grounds of Brynhyfryd School.
Community: Ruthin (Rhuthun)
Locality: Ruthin East
Built-Up Area: Ruthin
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The original house of c1830 belonged at one time to a local solicitor. It was converted in 1899 to a girls' school, with additions to the rear; by 1907 it was the County School for Girls. Became Sixth Form Centre when the new school buildings were built after the Second World War.
Two storey house, stucco, hipped slate roofs with broad eaves; chimney to L. Unusual hornless small-pane sash glazing with marginal glazing bars and triangular blocks to corners; hoodmoulds to windows. Front faces south. Three bays. Central semi-octagonal bay with small-pane sash over projecting splayed bay window. Similar treatment to outer bays. Right return of 2 windows with 12-pane sashes on first floor. On ground floor, six-pane over nine-pane windows with marginal glazing bars. To L, lower 2-storey, 2-window stucco block (small-pane sash glazing), then single-story stucco block with blocked camber-headed window and door. To L again gabled block with blocked camber-headed window. Beyond this, at right angles, brick outbuilding.range. To rear of original house 2-storey extension in yellow brick.
Not accessible at time of inspection.
Listed as an early C19 gentry house retaining its overall character.
Other nearby listed buildings