This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4955 / 51°29'43"N
Longitude: -3.2177 / 3°13'3"W
OS Eastings: 315562
OS Northings: 178094
OS Grid: ST155780
Mapcode National: GBR K7F.HW
Mapcode Global: VH6F6.5NSY
Entry Name: Memorial Cross to Dean William Conybeare
Listing Date: 30 June 2003
Last Amended: 30 June 2003
Source ID: 81271
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In the Cathedral Churchyard outside the south choir aisle.
Community: Llandaff (Llandaf)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Erected in 1867 as a memorial to Dean William Daniel Conybeare and designed by his son Henry Conybeare. It is modelled on the medieval churchyard crosses at Llangan and St. Donats. Dean Conybeare was Dean of Llandaff 1846-57, an important period for the restoration of the Cathedral.
Steps of local stone, shaft of white Mansfield stone. High square platform with moulded lip. This carries four diminishing steps, the top one being octagonal. Socket-stone with small buttresses to the corners, tall tapering shaft going from square to octagonal, carved cross-head. The cross-head carries reliefs of the Crucifixion and Resurrection.
Included for its historic interest as a memorial cross in the medieval style to William Conybeare (Dean of Llandaff 1846-57) who was principally responsible for the restoration of Llandaff Cathedral.
Other nearby listed buildings