History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Locomotive Shed, Glyn Valley Tramway

A Grade II Listed Building in Glyn Ceiriog, Wrexham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9318 / 52°55'54"N

Longitude: -3.1874 / 3°11'14"W

OS Eastings: 320284

OS Northings: 337817

OS Grid: SJ202378

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.M68H

Mapcode Global: WH78B.0KGR

Entry Name: Locomotive Shed, Glyn Valley Tramway

Listing Date: 8 July 2003

Last Amended: 8 July 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 81292

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located towards the W end of New Road, approx 100m from the main crossroads in the village. The shed is behind a hedge in the grounds of a Works Depot.

County: Wrexham

Town: Llangollen

Community: Llansantffraid Glyn Ceiriog

Community: Llansantffraid Glyn Ceiriog

Locality: Glyn Ceiriog

Built-Up Area: Glyn Ceiriog

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llansantffraid Glyn Ceiriog

History

The Glyn Valley Tramway was a narrow gauge railway constructed in 1872-3 to transport slate and granite from the Glyn Ceiriog quarries to the Shropshire Union Canal at Chirk. It took passengers from 1874, and was operated by gravity and horses until 1888 when it was converted to steam. This locomotive shed was probably built c1890 when improvements were being undertaken by the line engineer, Henry Dennis. The line closed in 1933 to passengers and in 1935 to freight, due to competition from road transport.
Old photographs show that the building originally had 2 ridge ventilators and a stack to the NW angle, but is otherwise little altered.

Exterior

Six-bay single-storey range of red brick under a corrugated asbestos-cement roof. Detail includes wooden barge boards and a moulded brick plinth. Each bay has a window with segmental brick head and chamfered brick sill, the openings boarded over from the outside. Entrance to E gable end, with double sheet-metal doors in original openings. The gable is covered by corrugated steel sheeting. On inspection in 2002, the S side was partly obscured by 2 temporary portakabins and a water tank. To their L is a small late-C20 lean-to toilet block. No openings to W gable end.

Interior

Well-preserved interior with brick wall shafts between bays which support King-post roof trusses. The windows contain the original small-pane iron glazing, each with a small pivoting opening light. On the L at the far end, the window has been converted into a door leading into the toilet block. The floor has brick paving to the sides, between which is compact earth, probably infill of the inspection pits.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a rare survival of this transport building type which retains its character, notwithstanding the obscured exterior, and has good detail.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Ceiriog Memorial Institute including retaining wall and railings
    Located towards the S end of the High Street. The ground rises to the W and the building is slightly raised above road level.
  • II Glyn Valley Hotel
    Located in a prominent position in the centre of the village, on the W side of the main crossroads.
  • II The Vicarage
    Reached by a driveway off the N end of the High Street and surrounded by glebeland.
  • II Grave Monument to Rev Robert Ellis (Cynddelw)
    Located in the Baptist Cemetery which borders the B4579 road, just outside and to the SE of Glyn Ceiriog village.
  • II 2 Orley House
    Located on the N side of a narrow unmetalled lane which leads W from the lane which leads up to the church from the village. In a high position on the hillside.
  • II 1 Orley House
    Located on the N side of a narrow unmetalled lane which leads W from the lane which leads up to the church from the village. In a high position on the hillside.
  • II Telephone call box opposite Nos 1 & 2 Orley House
    On the S side of a narrow unmetalled lane which leads W from the lane leading up to the church from the village. On the edge of the hillside overlooking the main village of Glyn Ceiriog
  • II Church of St Ffraid
    On the E side of a lane which runs N from the centre of Glyn Ceiriog. The lane rises steeply and the church is in a prominent position on the hillside.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.