History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Glyn Ceiriog, Wrexham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9346 / 52°56'4"N

Longitude: -3.187 / 3°11'13"W

OS Eastings: 320315

OS Northings: 338123

OS Grid: SJ203381

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.M0BS

Mapcode Global: WH78B.0HNM

Entry Name: The Vicarage

Listing Date: 8 July 2003

Last Amended: 8 July 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 81295

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Reached by a driveway off the N end of the High Street and surrounded by glebeland.

County: Wrexham

Town: Llangollen

Community: Llansantffraid Glyn Ceiriog

Community: Llansantffraid Glyn Ceiriog

Locality: Glyn Ceiriog

Built-Up Area: Glyn Ceiriog

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llansantffraid Glyn Ceiriog

History

Small Tudor Gothic-style vicarage built in 1842 at the expense of Arthur, Viscount Dungannon. The 1851 census recorded the vicar, his wife, 2 young children, 3 servants and a gardener.

Exterior

Symmetrical 2-storey 3-window vicarage with advanced gabled bay to centre incorporating porch. Constructed of dressed polychrome random stone under slate roofs with stone end stacks, each with 2 shafts. Further stack to rear. Detail includes string course, wide boarded eaves, heavy chamfered surrounds to openings which are rendered. Mainly 3-light wooden-framed windows in deep splays, with central opening casement and horizontal glazing bars. The front faces E. Central entrance with Tudor-arched head and replaced panelled door. Stone tablet above doorway recording that the foundation stone was put in place by Arthur, Viscount Dungannon, patron and benefice, 11th May 1842. Small lights to sides of porch. Upper storey of advanced bay has window with stepped head. Lower storey windows of flanking bays are taller than those above and have flat-arched heads of stone voussoirs.
North end of main range has small light to lower R. To the R, a single-storey bay has been raised, with gable facing N. It has a blocked doorway to R, a small 2-light window to L, and similar window above. Rear elevation has central gabled wing with stepped window to upper storey, 3-light window below. Left raised bay has 2-light window to lower storey. To R of wing is a narrower gabled bay at right angles and facing S, with small C20 lean-to adjacent. South elevation is therefore 2-gable, that to R set back. Stepped windows to upper storey, 3-light windows below, that to L slightly altered.

Interior

Central stair-hall, with staircase to L and passage to R leading to kitchen. Panelled doors to reception rooms to L and R in front of stairs. Staircase has turned wooden balusters, the newels with recessed trefoils and ball finials. Stairs split at landing, with flight to rear room and dog-leg to front bedrooms. Dining room to R had 2nd door towards rear, now blocked, presumably servants'''' access from kitchen. Above the inside of the front door is a wide marble tablet, which notes that the site of the house with 3 acres(1.2 hectares) of glebeland was presented in 1841 by Viscount Dungannon, patron of Llansantffraid Glyn Ceiriog. Also involved was William Carey, Lord Bishop of St Asaph.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a small handsome vicarage with interesting use of local materials, which was built for a relatively isolated industrial community.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Ceiriog Memorial Institute including retaining wall and railings
    Located towards the S end of the High Street. The ground rises to the W and the building is slightly raised above road level.
  • II Locomotive Shed, Glyn Valley Tramway
    Located towards the W end of New Road, approx 100m from the main crossroads in the village. The shed is behind a hedge in the grounds of a Works Depot.
  • II 2 Orley House
    Located on the N side of a narrow unmetalled lane which leads W from the lane which leads up to the church from the village. In a high position on the hillside.
  • II 1 Orley House
    Located on the N side of a narrow unmetalled lane which leads W from the lane which leads up to the church from the village. In a high position on the hillside.
  • II Telephone call box opposite Nos 1 & 2 Orley House
    On the S side of a narrow unmetalled lane which leads W from the lane leading up to the church from the village. On the edge of the hillside overlooking the main village of Glyn Ceiriog
  • II Church of St Ffraid
    On the E side of a lane which runs N from the centre of Glyn Ceiriog. The lane rises steeply and the church is in a prominent position on the hillside.
  • II Glyn Valley Hotel
    Located in a prominent position in the centre of the village, on the W side of the main crossroads.
  • II Grave Monument to Rev Robert Ellis (Cynddelw)
    Located in the Baptist Cemetery which borders the B4579 road, just outside and to the SE of Glyn Ceiriog village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.