This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7243 / 51°43'27"N
Longitude: -4.278 / 4°16'40"W
OS Eastings: 242757
OS Northings: 205300
OS Grid: SN427053
Mapcode National: GBR GQ.BFNB
Mapcode Global: VH3M2.SXRJ
Entry Name: Former Kidwelly & Llanelly Canal aqueduct (also known as Glanstony Aqueduct)
Listing Date: 23 July 2003
Last Amended: 23 July 2003
Source ID: 81323
Location: Spanning the Afon Gwendraeth Fawr NW of Morfa Mawr Farm, approximately 600m NW of Llandyry church.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The Kidwelly & Llanelli Canal was begun in 1812 and was built between Llanelli and Kymer''s Canal (1769) on the E side of Kidwelly. The engineer was James Pinkerton. The aqueduct is said to have been dated 1815. Later the canal was taken over by the Burry Port and Gwendraeth Valley Railway and in 1869 it built a railway mainly on the infilled bed of the old canal. The BP&GVR was taken over by the Great Western Railway in 1922. The line closed in 1965.
A canal aqueduct built principally of coursed freestone, comprising 6 low segmental arches. On the E (upstream) side are V-shaped cutwaters with pyramidal caps. The R-hand (N) arch has partly fallen. The W side has overgrown (possibly square) cutwaters, and above the arches is mostly rebuilt in brick. The abutments are splayed on each bank.
Listed grade II* as a fine early C19 canal aqueduct of national importance.
Scheduled Ancient Monument Cm 270 (CAM).
Other nearby listed buildings