This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6023 / 51°36'8"N
Longitude: -3.0718 / 3°4'18"W
OS Eastings: 325866
OS Northings: 189815
OS Grid: ST258898
Mapcode National: GBR J2.BB1J
Mapcode Global: VH7B4.PZYK
Entry Name: Canal Bridge over Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal E of Pen y van (partly in Risca community)
Listing Date: 22 October 1999
Last Amended: 23 July 2003
Source ID: 81335
Building Class: Transport
Location: On the boundary with Risca Community, E of Pontymister, on lane leading due N from Risca Road.
Community: Rogerstone (Tŷ-du)
Built-Up Area: Risca
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
In 1790s a consortium of coal owners and industrialists sought Parliamentary approval to build canals to
link the industrial areas of the N valleys with Newport on the Usk estuary, the canals in turn to link with a
system of feeder tramroads. Bill received assent in 1792 and the Monmouthshire Canal Navigation
Company was formed to build two canals; that in the Western Valley, also known as the Crumlin Arm and 11 miles long, was designed to join the Eastern Valley Canal just N of Newport, completed c 1797
engineer Thomas Dadford. Reservoirs to feed canal were constructed in mountain valleys. In 1865 the
Brecknock and Abergavenny and Monmouthshire Canals merged to become the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal which was later incorporated into the Great Western Railway. Much of the Western Valley canal was filled in to provide a by-pass road but the section through Risca mostly survives, continuing on from the surviving Crosskeys section. The Sirhowy tramroad built at the expense of the Sirhowy and Tredegar ironmasters from their furnaces in the north valleys to Nine Mile Point, at the bottom of the Sirhowy Valley, N of Risca was completed 1805, linking with the Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company tramroad via the Long Bridge, crossing the Ebbw Valley.
Hump-backed bridge of rubble sandstone. Single elliptical arch has dressed stone voussoirs and low
parapet with flat coping. Abutments splayed outwards end in square piers. Former tow path passed
under bridge on S side. Tarmac deck. Repairs in concrete to coping and ends.
Listed as a late C18 canal bridge retaining its character.
Other nearby listed buildings