History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pentre Mynydd

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangwyryfon, Ceredigion

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2993 / 52°17'57"N

Longitude: -4.0431 / 4°2'35"W

OS Eastings: 260776

OS Northings: 268765

OS Grid: SN607687

Mapcode National: GBR 8T.X94S

Mapcode Global: VH4FY.VGXP

Entry Name: Pentre Mynydd

Listing Date: 15 August 2003

Last Amended: 15 August 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 81764

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated some 150m NE of Capel Bethel in Trefenter.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Aberystwyth

Community: Llangwyryfon

Community: Llangwyryfon

Locality: Trefenter

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llangwyryfon

History

Small farmhouse with byre in-line, probably earlier to mid C19, marked on the 1842 tithe map, when the owner was Lewis Davis and the occupier was David Jenkins. The farmhouse was the home of the bard E. Prosser Rhys (died 1945), crowned at the 1924 National Eisteddfod in Pontypridd for his poem Atgof. Disused and in poor condition 2002.

Exterior

Small farmhouse, rubble stone formerly whitewashed, with slate close-eaved roof and 2 brick stacks. Two storeys, double-fronted, much offset to right with off-centre boarded door. Hornless small-paned sash windows, 9-pane above, 12-pane below, stone voussoirs to lower openings, slab lintels to upper 2 windows, thin slate sills. Outshut rear. Lower byre added to left with corrugated iron roof and 2 full-height doors.

Interior

C19 joists to ceilings, fireplaces gone.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a small vernacular farmstead, little altered, the home of one of the four chaired bards of the Mynydd Bach.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Capel Bethel including vestry to left
    Situated some 200m E of the minor road through the centre of Trefenter.
  • II Ty Capel
    Situated attached to vestry of Trefenter chapel, some 200m E of junction with road S from Llangwyryfon.
  • II Cottage some 250m ESE of Pentre Mynydd
    Situated some 350m due E of Capel Bethel, reached via new track down from Pentre Mynydd and Ty Uchaf.
  • II Blaenbeidiog
    Situated on the E side of a metalled track to the SE of the village centre.
  • II Penglanowen Fawr
    Situated at end of 150m track, N of minor road which runs E from Llangwyryfon-Trefenter road at Maesbeidiog to A485.
  • II Cefn Coch
    Situated on a public footpath, some 200m N of the minor road running E from Llangwyryfon-Trefenter road to A485.
  • II Gilfachgoed
    Situated on the W side of B4576 some 800m SW of the village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.