This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8257 / 52°49'32"N
Longitude: -3.3037 / 3°18'13"W
OS Eastings: 312250
OS Northings: 326152
OS Grid: SJ122261
Mapcode National: GBR 6S.V1YS
Mapcode Global: WH78V.771K
Entry Name: The Waterloo Stone
Listing Date: 14 August 2003
Last Amended: 14 August 2003
Source ID: 81790
Location: In a field at north side of the village street and west of the River Rhaeadr, reached by a private passage at the side of New Mills.
Locality: Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant village
Built-Up Area: Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The stone appears to be an old dressed stone reused to commemorate Waterloo, as it was damaged at the left side prior to the carving of the inscription, which is conspicuously off-centre. The carving of the lettering is in a style consistent with the date displayed.
The stone has evidently been brought to its present location from elsewhere. The field in which it stands is named Cae Pit in the Tithe Survey (1839). The stone is not indicated on the 1st edition of the large scale Ordnance Survey of 1886, but it has been in its present location at least from before the second World War. It stands on a raised bank which was formerly at the side of the leat to the fulling mill near the bridge.
A single piece of slate, roughly triangular in section, with one smooth face on which are carved the words "Cae / Waterloo / GB / 1815", plus a simple foliage motif at the top. The carved letters etc have been picked out in white paint. To the right side of the lettering the edge of the stone is chamfered.
The stone is splitting slightly at the top and has been bound with a thick iron wire. It has been re-erected on a rough concrete base.
A monument of the Regency period, commemorating the victory at Waterloo.
Other nearby listed buildings