This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8235 / 52°49'24"N
Longitude: -3.2993 / 3°17'57"W
OS Eastings: 312543
OS Northings: 325901
OS Grid: SJ125259
Mapcode National: GBR 6S.V322
Mapcode Global: WH78V.9948
Entry Name: The Green Stone
Listing Date: 29 August 2003
Last Amended: 29 August 2003
Source ID: 81842
Building Class: Transport
Location: At the east side of the village of Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant at the south side of the B4580, close to the former school.
Built-Up Area: Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant
Traditional County: Denbighshire
A menhir re-erected in 1770, by Dr Worthington, vicar (1747-1778) to serve as a milestone for the solace and convenience of travellers. It gives the distances from Shrewsbury (then considered the metropolitan centre of east Powysland) and from London. Before the construction of the adjacent National School it stood on a mound at the school site; in the C19 it was moved to its present position and temporarily used as a lamp-post.
A stone approximately 2 m tall, with a slightly rounded face to the east, carrying on this face the inscription 'Viatorum solatio et commoditat... / A Salop / XXVI / A Lond / CLXXX / L' and on the rear in a square 'H P vic P / MDCCLXX'
A re-used menhir inscribed as a milepost; the use of Latin implying cultural respect for an ancient monument, even if not readily understood by all coachmen.
Other nearby listed buildings