This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.865 / 51°51'53"N
Longitude: -4.2664 / 4°15'59"W
OS Eastings: 244041
OS Northings: 220914
OS Grid: SN440209
Mapcode National: GBR DJ.SLCL
Mapcode Global: VH3LJ.0DC5
Entry Name: Garden walls at former Bishops Palace (Carmarthenshire County Museum)
Listing Date: 22 October 2003
Last Amended: 22 October 2003
Source ID: 81930
Location: On the SW side of the former Bishop's Palace, and on the E side of the churchyard.
Built-Up Area: Abergwili
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The Bishops Palace was founded by Bishop Barlow of St Davids, appointed in 1536. The palace was substantially rebuilt in Elizabethan style by Bishop Jenkinson (1825-40) but was mostly destroyed by a fire in 1902. It was rebuilt in 1903-7 and remained an episcopal residence until 1972, since when it has been converted to a museum. The walled garden is shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey.
High rubble-stone walls enclosing a garden approximately 60 x 50m. Facing the E side of the churchyard it has a plain coping and is approximately 2.5m high. At the N end it is stepped and incorporates an inserted doorway with freestone surround and round brick head. The door has vertical ribs and leads to a path to the former palace. The S return is battered at the base and, as the ground level is lower, approximately 4m high facing a ditch.
Listed for their special interest as part of the historic character of Abergwili church and Bishop's Palace.
Other nearby listed buildings