This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6372 / 51°38'13"N
Longitude: -2.9837 / 2°59'1"W
OS Eastings: 332019
OS Northings: 193610
OS Grid: ST320936
Mapcode National: GBR J6.825W
Mapcode Global: VH7B6.73HS
Entry Name: Churchyard cross at Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 22 October 2003
Last Amended: 22 October 2003
Source ID: 81935
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the S side of the churchyard approxiamtely 20m S of the church porch.
Community: Ponthir (Pont-hir)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Churchyard cross of 1886 to J.E.W. Rolls of The Hendre erected by F.J. Mitchell of Llanfrechfa Grange, his son-in-law. The base may be medieval.
Churchyard cross, three steps to plinth, square (possibly retooled medieval) base with slightly shaped upper corners and well-lettered inscription, then late C19 octagonal tapering column with carved capital carrying an ashlar small gabled tabernacle with ogee-headed panel each side. Front E panel has relief of Crucifixion, narrow side panels have floral motifs, passion flower S and lily N, and W side has SS Mary and Mary Magdalene.
Included as a well-carved Victorian churchyard cross.
Other nearby listed buildings