This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8182 / 52°49'5"N
Longitude: -3.1808 / 3°10'50"W
OS Eastings: 320517
OS Northings: 325176
OS Grid: SJ205251
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.VFTX
Mapcode Global: WH78X.3FL9
Entry Name: Sycharth
Listing Date: 23 October 2003
Last Amended: 23 October 2003
Source ID: 81955
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Beside minor road from Nantgoch to Pont Sycharth, 700 m south of Sycharth Motte.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
A roadside farmhouse probably of the C17. In 1841 it was recorded in the Tithe Survey as a farm in the Wynnstay estate tenanted by a butcher, John Edwards, with 42 acres (17 hectares); the farmstead described as 'house, buildings, fold and garden'. The unorthodox layout with its farm buildings straddling a public road may date from this or a similar tenancy. The house and the farm buildings are now in private ownership.
A 1½-storey two-bay house facing north to a roadside garden, with its chimney-end gable to the road and a two-bay rear wing also to the road. Local shaley stone, uncoursed; graded random slate roof with tile ridges. Large stone end chimney with bulge of bread oven at side and a stack with distinctive (C17) sunk panels on the broad faces; stone end-chimney with brickwork stack to the rear wing. The windows to the garden and to the road have been changed to steel casements (with horizontal glazing bars). Small pane two-light dormer windows at front with iron casements. Lean-to rear extension also in stone and slate with exceptionally low pitch roof.
A roadside small farmhouse of the C17 which has retained its character, notwithstanding minor alterations.
Other nearby listed buildings