This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8085 / 52°48'30"N
Longitude: -3.2053 / 3°12'19"W
OS Eastings: 318850
OS Northings: 324123
OS Grid: SJ188241
Mapcode National: GBR 6X.W1X3
Mapcode Global: WH78W.QNVS
Entry Name: Williams-Wynn Monument in St Cedwyn's Churchyard
Listing Date: 23 October 2003
Last Amended: 23 October 2003
Source ID: 81958
Location: To south east of the church, close to the east boundary of the churchyard.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
A memorial to Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn, 6th Baronet, who died at Wynnstay in 1885.
A monument in the form of a preaching cross. Its head has carved panels in gabled niches on all four faces, and is surmounted by a Crucifixion. At the east side of the head are the Williams-Wynn arms, at north a bishop, at west family crests, and at south a figure in monk's habit, perhaps St Cedwyn. The design follows the general precedent of a C15/16 preaching cross such as the churchyard cross at Derwen.
The shaft is octagonal and slighly hollowed on each face, with a diaper reticulation. Mouldings at head and foot. The die is square to octagonal and stands on a large plinth. The east face of the die carries the inscription in leaded lettering commemorating Sir Watkin.
A fine tomb monument in late Gothic style.
Other nearby listed buildings