This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6401 / 51°38'24"N
Longitude: -3.9297 / 3°55'46"W
OS Eastings: 266565
OS Northings: 195237
OS Grid: SS665952
Mapcode National: GBR WV3.S0
Mapcode Global: VH4K9.T1XK
Entry Name: Former smelter sheds at Upper Bank Works
Listing Date: 22 October 2003
Last Amended: 22 October 2003
Source ID: 81959
Location: On the E bank of the Afon Tawe some 350m NE of the junction of the A4217 and Foxhole Road.
Community: Bonymaen (Bôn-y-maen)
Built-Up Area: Swansea
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Sandstone sheds built as part of the Upper Bank Works which were founded mid C18 by London merchant Chauncey Townsend initially smelting lead and zinc. The main activity changed to copper-smelting around 1775 and, as a result of George Muntz patenting ''yellow metal'' for the sheathing of ships, zinc-smelting was reintroduced on a large-scale in 1838-42 . It is possible that the sheds are from this period but are probably late C18 or early C19. The works closed in 1928 but were later used as part of a munitions factory. The buildings are now incorporated into the Addis Plastics factory.
Factory building, squared brown rubble stone with brick dressings and asbestos sheet roof. One main range to N and a narrower range to S coming forward was linked to a second range wholly rebuilt in C20 except some stonework on corner. Larger building to N has large vents infilled with fretted brickwork; 3 large roundels in gable over 4 large arched openings all with brick surrounds. Ground floor has blocked arched opening right of centre and 3 broad openings with iron lintels. Quoins on left corner. Narrower range to right comes forward with pair of small arched blocked openings in end gable. Rougher detail and rougher quoins on left corner. Stonework was continuous with the building to right now mostly replaced.
Not inspected but said to be converted to modern factory use.
Included as rare survivals of late C18 or early C19 smelting sheds, extremely important in the context of the industrial history of the lower Swansea valley. Group value with the quay walls on the Afon Tawe and Morfa bridge and quay.
Other nearby listed buildings