This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6404 / 51°38'25"N
Longitude: -3.9301 / 3°55'48"W
OS Eastings: 266533
OS Northings: 195270
OS Grid: SS665952
Mapcode National: GBR WV1.P8
Mapcode Global: VH4K9.T1NB
Entry Name: Quay walls at former Upper Bank Works
Listing Date: 22 October 2003
Last Amended: 22 October 2003
Source ID: 81961
Location: On the E bank of the Afon Tawe some 350m NE of the junction of the A4217 and Foxhole Road.
Community: Bonymaen (Bôn-y-maen)
Built-Up Area: Swansea
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Quay walls, part of the stone quays and tidal basins, which by the early C19, almost continuously lined the 4.8km dredged and navigable length of the lower Afon Tawe. This quay enabled sea-going vessels to service the Upper Bank Works on the E side of the river. The works were founded mid C18 by London merchant Chauncey Townsend initially smelting lead and zinc. The main activity changed to copper-smelting around 1775 and, as a result of George Muntz patenting ''yellow metal'' for the sheathing of ships, zinc-smelting was reintroduced on a large-scale in 1838-42. The works closed in 1928.
Quay walls of squared rubble stone originally with rounded slag coping. Some 100m in length with curve in one third of way along and at the S end, the curves serving to angle the quay out of the river current. Only a short length at the N end has original copings.
Listed as early industrial quay walls and for group value with Morfa bridge and quay.
Other nearby listed buildings