This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3662 / 52°21'58"N
Longitude: -4.047 / 4°2'49"W
OS Eastings: 260724
OS Northings: 276210
OS Grid: SN607762
Mapcode National: GBR 8T.S26T
Mapcode Global: VH4FK.SSWF
Entry Name: Ty Isaf
Listing Date: 27 October 2003
Last Amended: 27 October 2003
Source ID: 81983
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on N side of Ystwyth river, some 2km SE of Llanfarian village.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Small gentry house of earlier C19, formerly in Llanbadarn y Creuddyn Isaf township of Llanbadarn Fawr parish. The main house looks of c1830-40 but the downhill range at right angles may be an older house altered to service wing and garages. There is said to have been a house on the site in later C18, possibly a dower-house of the Abermad estate. Marked on 1845 Tithe map as owned by Jane Morgan with 44 acres(17.8 hectares), the house then 'in hand', not tenanted. Occupied in 1895 and 1901 by Robert J Cox, in 1926 by Isaac Jones. In the mid C20 the author Rose Macaulay stayed here.
House, white-painted roughcast with slate roof, flat eaves, and 2 rebuilt rear wall chimneys. Tall, 3-storey and attic front built into bank such that rear entry is to landing above first floor level. Three added eaves dormers with fretted bargeboards and finials, C20 uPVC glazing. Main W front has 12-pane hornless sashes to upper floors and 2 ground floor large later C19 canted bay windows with plate-glass sashes and moulded cornices. Centre C20 half-glazed door with overlight.
N and S end walls of rubble stone with overhanging verges, right end with sash window to each upper floor and ground floor added conservatory. Rear is rubble stone with flat eaves and 2 tall C20 black brick eaves chimneys.
Rubble stone lower range running downslope from left end, with facade to N.
N side of this range has 2-storey house across N end of main house with E end stone stack, raised in brick. N front has 2 eaves-breaking 4-pane sashes under fretted bargeboards with finials (similar to front dormers) and one similar sash to right below eaves level. Ground floor left has small C19 canted bay with hipped roof, 2-4-2-pane glazing, blocked door to right. Garage range running downhill was formerly partly residential, see the chimneys in 2 internal walls. Single-storey range with C20 door to upper residential section at extreme left, then 3 garage or cart-shed entries, the lintels stepping down hill to right. the first 2 have C20 cemented surrounds, the third a C20 timber lintel. Overhanging eaves to gable end. Rear, to entrance court, has 2 blocked doors with stone voussoirs to lower end and one C20 window to right. In angle to house is rear of 2-storey section, roughcast with 9-pane first floor sash.
Main house is one room deep with centre staircase, rear wall below ground level said to be lined with a brick and timber cavity wall. Centre stair has stick balusters, closed string and bulbous turned newels, probably c1840-50.
Garage range has fireplace in wall between second and third garage. Slate floor and blocked rear window with timber lintel to second garage. Two doors, one blocked into upper garage, which also has chimneybreast.
Included as a late-Georgian style small gentry house prominently set over the Ystwyth valley, with downhill range of buildings attached, possibly of earlier date.
Other nearby listed buildings