This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8237 / 52°49'25"N
Longitude: -4.0835 / 4°5'0"W
OS Eastings: 259705
OS Northings: 327167
OS Grid: SH597271
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.V4J8
Mapcode Global: WH566.79Q3
Entry Name: Gwynfryn House
Listing Date: 29 October 2003
Last Amended: 29 October 2003
Source ID: 82001
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set along the NW side of the road which leads E off the A496 in the village of Llanbedr and runs through the hamlet of Pentre Gwynfryn.
Locality: Pentre Gwynfryn
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Mid to late C19 house and converted shop. The hamlet of Pentre Gwynfryn was built by the Griffiths family of Gwynfryn Farm, developed in the early to mid C19, by 1851 there were 15 houses in total, numbered 13 to 27 inclusive.
Substantial mid C19 end of terrace house, built of rubble masonry, the principal elevations facing the street are of roughly dressed snecked stonework with large stones as quoins and lintels; to rear the stonework is mortared rubble. Slate roof with broad rectangular stacks with capping. Windows are 4-pane horned sashes with slate sills.
The present house appears to incorporate 3 units, the central of which is at the angle of the range. The SE elevation is a 3-window range including a 2-window house to R with panelled door to L hand. The single window part to L is mirrored on the SW wall and belongs to the end unit which has access via a doorway in the angle elevation. To the L end of the SW wall is another 2-window range, the L hand part of which is set back from the main elevation and has a boarded doorway under a shallow overlight.
The interior was not inspected at the time of the survey.
Included as a good mid-late C19 house which retains good original character and which forms a group with the adjacent Artro House and terrace in the hamlet of Pentregwynfryn.
Other nearby listed buildings