History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bronfynwent

A Grade II Listed Building in Lledrod, Ceredigion

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2923 / 52°17'32"N

Longitude: -4.0082 / 4°0'29"W

OS Eastings: 263134

OS Northings: 267914

OS Grid: SN631679

Mapcode National: GBR 8V.XRRS

Mapcode Global: VH4FZ.GNW3

Entry Name: Bronfynwent

Listing Date: 11 November 2003

Last Amended: 15 April 2004

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 82051

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Situated some 300m up a track to the S of a minor road to the W of Bronnant.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Lledrod

Community: Lledrod

Locality: Bronnant

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Lledrod

History

Small farmhouse and outbuildings in line said to have been built in 1808 by the great-great-grandfather of the present occupant. Many offspring of that first generation emigrated to the USA. Marked on 1843 Tithe map as owned and occupied by William Williams with 10 acres (4.05 hectares). The farmhouse was originally of end-entry plan with entry through the uphill outbuilding, the present external door being an alteration.

Exterior

Farmhouse, occupying central position within a long range of buildings running downslope, of whitewashed rubble stone with single renewed slate roof. Farmhouse has whitewashed stone end stacks with stepped cornices and dripstones. One-and- a-half storey 2-window range, attic with 2 roof lights and 2 small 4-pane casement windows under eaves, ground floor with (inserted) doorway to left and 2 slightly larger 4-pane casements below upper windows. To rear, C20 asbestos-roofed lean-to housing kitchen and bathroom.
Attached uphill to left of house, outbuilding range of 2 bays with doorway at each end, right-hand doorway lower. According to the occupant, this was the original entrance to the house, turning right through an end-wall doorway into the kitchen, altered early in the C20, the doorway now blocked.
Attached downhill to right of house, similar range with 2 doors. Taller wall due to slope of ground, loft window in rear wall. Further right, is single-storey rubble stone lean-to which itself leans against the gable end of a one-and-a-half storey whitewashed rubble stone 2-bay range, at right angles to the main range. The lean-to has a single doorway, while the range at right angles has 3 doorways.

Interior

Consists of 2 rooms - a main living room to the right with small vestibule inside entrance. Surviving detail includes flagged floor. Upstairs reached by wooden steps, with 2 rooms separated by board partition.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a small vernacular farmhouse of good traditional character with outbuildings in line, the farmhouse of end-entry plan.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.