This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4494 / 52°26'57"N
Longitude: -3.5417 / 3°32'30"W
OS Eastings: 295321
OS Northings: 284613
OS Grid: SN953846
Mapcode National: GBR 9H.LSRB
Mapcode Global: VH5BX.KPHM
Entry Name: ,5,Castle Street,,,,
Listing Date: 12 November 2003
Last Amended: 12 November 2003
Source ID: 82062
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the north end of Castle Street, backing onto Penygraig Street. The house faces onto a small yard, tightly confined by the plot boundary that runs on the east side of Castle Street, to the rear of
Built-Up Area: Llanidloes
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The house appears to be timber-framed, but possibly built in two phases, with the roof raised and the house refenestrated in the late C18 or early C19. It is an apparent relic of early 'back-land' development, of infill behind the main streets of the town, probably associated with the expansion of Llanidloes as a textile town.
Small house; 2 storeyed, 2-window range, a lobby entry against single gable end stack. Roughcast render over probable timber frame, with the weather-boarded which are a characteristic of other timber-framed buildings in the town. Slate roof with pronounced eaves overhang, brick gable end stack and wide gable at rear. Main façade has doorway to left, a boarded door with simple hood over, and 2 windows on each floor: these are small paned iron-framed casements. Rear obscured by later lean-to additions. Cobbled yard to front and rear.
Not inspected, but said to comprise single heated living room with chimney stair, and two small service.
Listed as a surviving example of pre-1840 urban infill development, and as retaining good traditional character as a simple urban vernacular house.
Other nearby listed buildings