This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6857 / 51°41'8"N
Longitude: -4.2675 / 4°16'2"W
OS Eastings: 243349
OS Northings: 200987
OS Grid: SN433009
Mapcode National: GBR GQ.DY4B
Mapcode Global: VH3M8.ZW9L
Entry Name: Stanley's Bridge
Listing Date: 25 November 2003
Last Amended: 25 November 2003
Source ID: 82075
Location: Part of a former tramroad embankment on the N side of Ashburnham Road, and approximately 150m NW of Ashburnham Hotel.
Community: Pembrey and Burry Port Town (Pembre a Phorth Tywyn)
Community: Pembrey and Burry Port Town
Built-Up Area: Pembrey
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Stanley's Tramroad was built c1820 to carry coal from a pit in Pembrey to Pembrey harbour. It remained in use until c1863. It crosses the former Kidwelly & Llanelly Canal, begun in 1812, which extended from Llanelli to Kymer's Canal (1769) on the E side of Kidwelly. Later the canal was taken over by the Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley Railway and in 1869 it built a railway mainly on the bed of the old canal. The BP&GVR was taken over by the Great Western Railway in 1922. The railway closed in 1985.
A single-span tramway bridge over the former canal, of coursed stone with freestone copings. Abutments are slightly battered and curve outwards on each bank. A single round arch has freestone voussoirs.
Listed as a rare surviving early C19 tramroad bridge.
Other nearby listed buildings