History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cwm Clydach Dam (partly in Dyffryn Clydach community)

A Grade II Listed Building in Blaenhonddan, Neath Port Talbot

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.6735 / 51°40'24"N

Longitude: -3.825 / 3°49'30"W

OS Eastings: 273899

OS Northings: 198767

OS Grid: SS738987

Mapcode National: GBR H2.5SNN

Mapcode Global: VH4K5.N67F

Entry Name: Cwm Clydach Dam (partly in Dyffryn Clydach community)

Listing Date: 26 November 2003

Last Amended: 26 November 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 82081

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Spanning Cwm Clydach approximately 950m N of Neath Abbey railway viaduct and some 120m NE of Glynfelin Farm.

County: Neath Port Talbot

Town: Neath

Community: Blaenhonddan

Community: Blaenhonddan

Locality: Neath Abbey

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in


Dam, built 1840 to renew earlier structure. It was used to regulate the flow of water to Neath Abbey Ironworks some 1 km downstream. Water power was widely used in the works even after the advent of steam power. In 1840 the Neath Abbey Iron Company had two rolling mills and a boring mill powered by waterwheels. The Neath Abbey Ironworks were developed by two Quaker families, the Foxes of Falmouth from 1792 and Joseph Tregelles Price from 1817. Under Price the works became famous for high-quality engineering products including locomotives, stationary engines and steamships. The works closed in 1886.


Dam, high wall of Pennant sandstone with battered lower face. W end has buttresses between twin outlets from vertical cast-iron tubes, one with cast-iron paddle gearing on N side. Four overflow outlets above, all with cast-iron stop-plank supports. Dam carries minor roadway with, from E, rubble stone walls, C20 railings, C20 rubble stone walls and then concreted walls on W end. The reservoir is heavily silted almost to road level.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a well-built stone dam of the earlier C19 and of special historical interest as part of the former Neath Abbey Ironworks. Scheduled Ancient Monument GM395.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.