This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8575 / 51°51'27"N
Longitude: -4.3005 / 4°18'1"W
OS Eastings: 241669
OS Northings: 220163
OS Grid: SN416201
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T3YD
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.DKVW
Entry Name: ,10,The Parade,,,,SA31 1LY
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82098
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated roughly midway along The Parade, a pair with No 9.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
One of a pair of mid to later C19 houses, the irregular spacing of ground floor openings suggest possible modification from earlier buildings. The Parade was laid out in 1782 and lined with trees in 1800. There are references to new houses in the 1830s and 1840s, the 1834 map shows a building owned by Jenkin Davies Esq roughly on the site of Nos 9-10 and a view of 1874 shows villas.
Attached house, paired with No 9, painted stucco, slate close-eaved roof with renewed, shared brick stack to ridge right, brick stack to left. Each house is 2-storey, 3-window range, upper floor with 3 sashes, ground floor each with 2 big tripartite openings, sash to inner bay right, door to outer bay with side lights. Glazing has marginal glazing bars and some coloured glass lights to left, doorway with side lights to right, with half-glazed door. Coloured glass in ground floor margins. Door heads are slightly lower than inner window heads, suggesting substantial modification.
Included as part of a Victorian pair retaining C19 detail and of group value with buildings either side, of interest as part of the development of The Parade as a fashionable residential area.
Other nearby listed buildings