This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8563 / 51°51'22"N
Longitude: -4.3077 / 4°18'27"W
OS Eastings: 241168
OS Northings: 220043
OS Grid: SN411200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T84M
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.9L1T
Entry Name: ,12,Guildhall Square,,,,SA31 1PN
Listing Date: 15 May 1980
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82100
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 10m SE of junction with Blue Street.
Locality: Guildhall Square
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
House, now commercial premises, c1800, apparently built as pair with No 11, both marked on Wood's 1834 map. Occupied by Miss May Williams, fancy draper, in 1926, part of a public house with No 11 in later C20, then travel-agents premises. The original domestic interior and stair survive above the ground floor. A large chimney between Nos 11 and 12 has gone.
Terraced house now commercial premises, red brick Flemish bond, with slate roof and timber modillion eaves cornice. Facade at an obtuse angle to similar front of No 11. Three storeys, 2-window range of 16-pane hornless sash windows with C20 shop front below. Shopfront has deep fascia and door to left.
Fine closed string staircase with stick balusters, ramped rail and turned newels, in 4 flights up to top floor. First floor front room has cornice and 6-panel door with fielded panels. 6-panel door to rear room, sunk panels. Rear room has wall cupboard each side of fireplace. Upper floor has 6-panel door with sunk panels.
Small plaster ceiling rose, cornice and fireplace said to remain on ground floor but covered over. Deep cellar down 13-steps with 2 heavy beams and 2 inserted beams. Three arched recesses on party wall to No 11 with corbelled tops to piers. Two blocked openings on front wall, one with brick one with stone head.
Included as one of a small group of notable late Georgian brick fronted premises in this part of Carmarthen, retaining a fine interior.
Other nearby listed buildings