This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8552 / 51°51'18"N
Longitude: -4.3078 / 4°18'27"W
OS Eastings: 241162
OS Northings: 219918
OS Grid: SN411199
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T850
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.9M0N
Entry Name: ,12,Quay Street,,,,SA31 3JT
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82101
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated at lower end of street on corner to Little Bridge Street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Terraced house, probably later C18, originally a mirrored pair with No 11 and part of a row of 4, of which the lower 2 were demolished after 1953. Marked on 1834 map. In 1884 occupied by Miss Elizabeth Davies, music teacher. All fenestration and door altered in late C20, divided into flats.
Quay Street is the most complete street of C18 houses left in Carmarthen, the street formed in the early C12 and already by the late middle ages the street of Carmarthen's most prominent families. No 19, which has been demolished, was dated 1698. It is not yet possible to establish precise dates for the other houses but most of them seem to be of C18 date, some retaining panelling and staircases of the period.
End-terrace house, unpainted roughcast, slate close-eaved roof with C20 raised eaves band and stuccoed stack at right. Two-storey, 3-window range with cellar, mirrored pair with No 11 such that inner bay has paired doors and paired windows above. C20 uPVC windows throughout replacing plate-glass sash windows of 1981 listing, and altered sills. Three windows above and 2 below to centre and right, with door to extreme left. Small cellar openings beneath windows. Two steps up to C20 uPVC door in original common doorcase with No 11, with pilaster and flat moulded hood on shaped brackets.
C18 closed string staircase with square newels, turned column balusters and moulded wide rail, in 4 flights. All doors replaced.
Included despite alteration to door and windows as a Georgian terraced house in with surviving staircase in important position at end of the prinicpal surviving Georgian street of the town.
Other nearby listed buildings