This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8569 / 51°51'24"N
Longitude: -4.3036 / 4°18'12"W
OS Eastings: 241454
OS Northings: 220094
OS Grid: SN414200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T94F
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.CL6D
Entry Name: ,12,Spilman Street,,,,SA31 1JY
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82102
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated on street line adjoining courtyard of Napier House.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
House of early C19 origins, marked on 1834 map of Carmarthen. Possibly associated with Napier House at No 13 as a service range, and possibly built as a pair with No 14 in a formal courtyard group. The estate office for the Earl of Cawdor's Carmarthenshire estate from 1884, and probably remodelled externally c1900 for the estate. F. D. Williams-Drummond, commissioner to Lord Cawdor was occupant in 1926 and Principality Financial Services in 2002.
Former house, now office, painted stucco with hipped close-eaved slate roof and modern red brick ridge stack offset to right. Two-storey 3-window range with painted plinth. Outer bays have full height arched-headed recesses (as on No 13). Ground floor has, to left, broad arch dying into splayed jambs with stucco hoodmould with keystone. Recessed within are double 2-panel doors with segmental-arched low overlight. To centre and left are broad plate-glass windows with segmental arched heads with 2 vertical bars to glazed low overlight. Painted stone sills. Above centre window is Cawdor monogram of 2 C's with a crown above. First floor has segmentally-arched headed horned 5-pane sashes and painted sills. The outer lights with heads under arches of the full-height recesses. Lean-to on E wall. Flat-roofed C20 rear extension.
Ground floor altered as offices.
Included as an unusual later C19 alteration of an earlier C19 building, prominent on street.
Other nearby listed buildings