This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.855 / 51°51'17"N
Longitude: -4.3094 / 4°18'33"W
OS Eastings: 241048
OS Northings: 219898
OS Grid: SN410198
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T7QN
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.8M4T
Entry Name: ,2,Spring Gardens,,,,SA31 3LL
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82110
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated between Mill Street and A40 backing onto Friars Park supermarket site.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Built in the C18. One of a row of 4 houses probably late C18, marked on 1786 map, altered in C19 when end house was converted into 2, and interiors wholly renewed since 1981 listing. There were in 1981 surviving C18 staircases in Nos 1 and 3 (and possibly No 2) with similarities to those in No 2 Nott Square, the Kings Arms in Priory Street, and No 33 Quay Street, and No 1 had fielded 6-panel doors, there were also front gardens with iron rails on dwarf stone walls with c1900 iron gates made by William Isaac, all removed by 2002.
Buildings marked on site on 1834 map when Mill Street was marked as Dame Street.
Second house of former row of 4. Each house was either rendered or of whitewashed rubble with slate gabled roof and end stacks, 2 storey and attic with basement, 3-window range with centre door, but the fourth was altered in C19 to 2, Nos 4 and 5, with loss of centre window and door. Originally there were small-paned 12-pane sash windows and thin sill-courses.
No 2 is painted roughcast with C20 concrete-tiled roof and rendered end stacks. Later C20 half-glazed door to centre. Renewed 12-pane timber sashes without sills. Roof has small central skylight flanked by later C20 dormers with 4-pane uPVC lights beneath tile-hung gables. Whitewashed stone rear.
All modernised since 1981 when it had not been inspected but was said to resemble those of Nos 1 and 3 with C18 staircase, now removed.
Included despite alterations as part of a rare C18 terrace.
Other nearby listed buildings