This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8574 / 51°51'26"N
Longitude: -4.3041 / 4°18'14"W
OS Eastings: 241422
OS Northings: 220156
OS Grid: SN414201
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T321
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.BKYZ
Entry Name: ,20,King Street,,,,SA31 1BH
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82112
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated roughly midway along street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Commercial premises apparently dated 1806, but external detail all later C19. In 1914 and 1926 listed with No 19 as David Williams, book-seller, the business later including antiques, the antiques business was housed in this building, the bookshop in No 19. The 2 shopfronts have matching carved heads, literary on No 19, grotesque (antique) on No 20. The house is said to have once been used as residence for High Court judges.
House and shops, taller than Nos 19 and 21 adjoining, painted stucco with slate close eaved roof and no chimneys. Three bays, 3 storeys. Stone plaque in top right hand corner, eroded but apparently dated 1806. Early C19 fluted metal rainwater heads, possibly lead, with lead downpipe. Tripartite plate-glass sash windows to upper floors, outer top floor windows and first floor left window with cast-iron later C19 flower balconies on sills. Ground floor has 2 late C19 shops each with plate glass shop window with outer panelled pilaster and scrolled bracket carved with a grotesque face, and fascia and cornice above. Shop-windows canted in with shop doors, and recessed centre half-glazed double door to stairs to upper floors.
Two iron columns in shop windows marked The Old Foundry Co, Carmarthen. Stick baluster staircase to upper floors around small open well, with scrolled tread ends and ramped rail.
Included as a prominent commercial frontage of late Georgian origins, retaining a good late C19 shopfront, a pair with that of No 19.
Other nearby listed buildings