This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8549 / 51°51'17"N
Longitude: -4.3095 / 4°18'34"W
OS Eastings: 241042
OS Northings: 219890
OS Grid: SN410198
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T7QN
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.8M3W
Entry Name: ,3,Spring Gardens,,,,SA31 3LL
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82118
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated between Mill Street and A40 backing onto Friars Park supermarket site.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
One of a row of 4 houses probably late C18, marked on 1786 map, altered in C19 when end house was converted into 2, and interiors wholly renewed since 1981 listing. Buildings marked on site on 1834 map when Mill Street was marked as Dame Street.
There were in 1981 surviving C18 staircases in Nos 1 and 3 (and possibly No 2) with similarities to those in No 2 Nott Square, the Kings Arms in Priory Street, and No 33 Quay Sreet (all also lost since 1981), and No 1 had fielded 6-panel doors. There were front gardens with iron rails on dwarf stone walls with c1900 iron gates made by William Isaac. All these features since removed.
Third house of former row of 4, now flats. Each house was either rendered or of whitewashed rubble with slate gabled roof and end stacks, 2 storey and attic with basement, 3-window range with centre door, but the fourth was altered in C19 to 2, Nos 4 and 5, with loss of centre window and door. Originally there were small-paned 12-pane sash windows and thin sill-courses.
No 3 is slightly set back, painted stucco with C20 concrete tile roof and rendered stack to right. Later C20 centre door in later C20 red brick and timber gabled porch. C20 uPVC windows throughout, slate sills. Three evenly-spaced skylights to roof. Since 1981 plate-glass horned sash windows have been replaced
Formerly had C18 staircase resembling that of No 1, with similar doors to first floor. All removed and replaced in modern materials in recent years and cellar filled in.
Included despite alterations as part of a rare C18 terrace group.
Other nearby listed buildings