This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8549 / 51°51'17"N
Longitude: -4.3095 / 4°18'34"W
OS Eastings: 241038
OS Northings: 219885
OS Grid: SN410198
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T7PL
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.8M2X
Entry Name: ,4,Spring Gardens,,,,SA31 3LL
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82124
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on Mill Street on A40 (near access to Friar's Park site of Tesco supermarket).
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
One of a row of 4 houses probably late C18, marked on 1786 map, altered in C19 when end house was converted into 2, and interiors wholly renewed since 1981 listing. There were in 1981 surviving C18 staircases in Nos 1 and 3 with similarities to those in No 2 Nott Square, the Kings Arms in Priory Street, and No 33 Quay Street (all since lost), and No 1 had fielded 6-panel doors. There were front gardens with iron rails on dwarf stone walls with c1900 iron gates made by William Isaac, also since removed.
Buildings marked on site on 1834 map when Mill Street was marked as Dame Street.
House in terrace row originally of 4 houses. Originally each house was either rendered or of whitewashed rubble with slate gabled roof and end stacks, 2 storey and attic with basement, 3-window range with centre door, but the fourth was altered in C19 to 2, Nos 4 and 5, with loss of centre window and door. Originally there were small-paned 12-pane sash windows and thin sill-courses.
No 4 is one of the pair of houses made out of a single house. Painted roughcast, 2-storey, basement and attic one-window range with door paired with that of No 5. Central basement door aligned with windows above and small basement window to right, all later C20 uPVC replacements (sashes with glazing bars in 1981). Slate sills. Flight of stone steps up to ground floor door to left. Door is plastic with rectangular overlight, beneath C20 gabled hood on timber brackets. Two evenly-spaced skylights to roof. Right end stack removed.
Included despite alterations as part of a rare C18 terrace group.
Other nearby listed buildings