This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8566 / 51°51'23"N
Longitude: -4.3057 / 4°18'20"W
OS Eastings: 241310
OS Northings: 220072
OS Grid: SN413200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T8MV
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.BL3K
Entry Name: ,57,King Street,,,,SA31 1BS
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82130
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated on SW corner of junction with Jackson's Lane.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Corner premises to Jackson's Lane, rebuilt in 1846-8 by J. L. Collard for William Morgan, spirit merchant. D.J. Davies wine and spirit merchant in 1926. The facade represents one of the first Victorian commercial premises in the town designed outside the Georgian vernacular tradition.
Commercial premises, of 3-storeys, one-window range in painted stucco with slate roof behind parapet. Upper floors have centre window bay recessed between broad piers with cornice broken forward over piers. Parapet has blocks over piers and slightly recessed shallow gable over centre. Windows are 12-pane horned sashes, the upper one with sill course between outer piers, the lower one with square-section cornice broken forward over side drops of tapering round section. Tall narrow panels in outer piers each floor. Wooden late C20 shop front of 6-pane fixed window to left of recessed half-glazed door with overlight, all in common casing of pilasters with brackets each side of deep fascia.
Right side wall to Jackson's Lane is rendered with blocked door to centre and 3 blocked windows to ground floor right and 2 12-pane sashes above to each floor (aligned with outer of 3 ground floor windows). Rendered gable end with 12-pane sashes to upper floors and gable.
Ground floor altered, stair at rear of shop enclosed.
Included as a mid C19 commercial building, an early example in the town, with architecturally-conceived street front in an unusual simplified classical style.
Other nearby listed buildings